Looking for Something?

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Gym-Rat-in-training

I always hated gyms, so I never went. But a couple days ago I hit a low point with the dissertation. Really low. And I thought, screw this. I'm not happy with things the way they are, so something has to change -- and I don't mean the font on this d*** thing. I need my life to recenter itself.

So, DG dragged me to a gym.

And I got on the elliptical machine.

And I liked it.

Flashback to college -- my roommate (hi there!) would go to gyms and talk about her amazing feats of stairmaster-ly endurance. Of course, she looked (and looks -- nothing has changed) a lot better than me because of that.

Now, I'm not competing with her -- we're talking 20 minutes at a time; it's hardly military-training type stuff I'm doing here. And I don't really care about changing my appearance -- although that would be ok. But seriously, I felt better all day. I even wrote more. It was amazing.

So, maybe I'll become a gym rat after all.

2 comments:

mbet said...

No amount of working out is ever going to provide me with boobs, so quit it already with the "looks better" comments, por favor. :)

But yes, doesn't working out give one a bit of a high? And *starting* at 20 minutes is pretty impressive. You'll work your way up. If you can find a way to watch TV while you're working out, the time will go even faster.

So when do I get to see a draft of the dissertation for some editing? I can't work for The Man 24/7, y'know.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... want to trade my boobs for your butt? Grass is always greener and all that...

And are you SURE you want to subject yourself to *this* dissertation? I mean, really, I don't want to lose such an important friend to this... ;-) But if you are sure, email me, we'll impose an arbitrary deadline for me to miss. 'Cuz I'm good at that.