Looking for Something?

Monday, June 30, 2008

Lincoln Park Zoo takes on the childhood obseity epidemic

At the Lincoln Park Zoo in their farm section they have a space about the weather -- where they have a TV set to the Weather Channel, live, all day. Because that ways kids can learn important things like:

... how to diet with the help of overpriced pre-packaged meals!

This is especially ironic given the commitment of the zoo cafeteria to healthy children's meals:


Excuse the fuzziness of the picture, but yes, that's "Cookies" listed first under the "Healthy Kids Meal." Cookies with trans-fats in them, I should add (Really. I checked the label).

But because they say its healthy, parents buy it (including myself). Apparently for the Lincoln Park Zoo, "healthy" means "we'll throw in an apple." Which is better than soda-pop, I suppose.

3 comments:

PMS_CC said...

I wonder if "cookie first" is an advertising technique that gets young readers to "help" their parents choose an option?

Coookies!

Anonymous said...

Oh, absolutely. And helps parents sell their kids on the "healthy" option. It just annoys me that it isn't really all that healthy -- in an institution that caters to children and claims to care about their health.

PMS_CC said...

What would such an institution look like if it actually did care about children's health?

I'm thinking that I don't expect much from a place that has flamingos standing in a heated plastic bubble during the winter. :)