Looking for Something?

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Holier than thou

Wow. I've just been bitched out by some greenie who thinks my urban gardening, vermicomposting, waiting-for-the-bus ways put me in the same category with people who super-commute from the burbs in their SUVs. Why? Because I dared -- DARED! -- to suggest that bicyclists should ride sober and follow the rules of the road.

Wow. And I thought I was judgemental!

UPDATE: Our greenie from Canada came back, and -- surprise! -- we had more in common than we thought. Welcome, Justin!

2 comments:

PMS_CC said...

I don't ride a bike to work for four reasons:

1) My job is 40 miles away.

2) The seat of a ten speed would become lost within my ass cheeks in mere moments, rendering the rest of the ride uncomfortable.

3) I don't have a bike.

4) I fear my conversion into a total prick would be inevitable. I'm sure it's not--but if fears were rational, they'd be called "legitimate concerns."

As for riding bikes in cities, our local area is extremely bike friendly, and is a common stop for people touring the west coast via bike.

Sam said...

Justin has returned and it turns out -- as I suspected -- that actually we agree with each other! Sounds like biking in Calgary (where he is) is a bit more hair-raising than it is here in Chicago. And that's saying something.

DG likes to say that the problem with environmentalism is that one can *always* do more, and so someone can always criticize you for something. (Disposable diapers?! Yes, sorry.) But that doesn't mean we shouldn't try. The pelicans of the world need us to make the effort! (Great post, Ducks!!)