Looking for Something?

Saturday, August 2, 2008

Michel Callon and the Elliptical Machine

I've been reading Michel Callon recently -- he's a science studies guy, interested in exploring the systems created by both human and non-human actors. "Non-human actors" include things like machines, technology, and... elliptical machines?!

I mentioned before that I am becoming a proto-gym-rat. On my second day at the gym, I mistakenly pushed the "cardio" button. It was ok for a while. Me and the machine, human and non-human actors, me running, it pumping, lights flashing.

And then the resistance goes way up. I'm pushing down with all my feeble might, flabby leg muscles straining.

RESUME WORKOUT

"What?"

RESUME PEDALING

Dammit, I AM pedaling!

NO, SERIOUSLY, FEEL FREE TO START EXERCISING ANYTIME.

This is where I decided to exert my humanness and lower the resistance on the machine with the little electronic button, so that I could, in fact, bend to its dominating will. And after that the pedaling went very well, thank you.

No comments: