Looking for Something?

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

People's Gas, Eco-hypocrites

No offense, but this is bullshit.

People's Gas has had ads all over the CTA claiming they want YOU to reduce energy use. They claim on their website that they take an "aggressive stance regarding the use of energy and its impact on the environment."

So how come People's Gas vans are parked and idling their engines everywhere I go? As I write, there is one outside my house that has had its energy running, windows open (so it's not even for the A.C.) for 45 minutes. This is typical.

If you want to reduce energy use, People's Gas, start at home. Get your drivers to turn off their engines while parked. It's really simple. After 10 seconds, you are wasting more gas idling than turning off the engine (unless your car is hella old).

Frankly, Americans complaining about high gas prices doesn't ring true to me. If gas prices were sooooo high I wouldn't see people idling while they eat lunch, snack, or make phone calls. Heck, in other places of the world I saw drivers turn off their engines to coast downhill.

Now that's taking conservation seriously.

1 comment:

PMS_CC said...

The end of the post reminds me of a nifty section in On the Road by Kerouac that involves putting the car in neutral to coast into California's central valley. I love that book...thanks People's Gas for causing me to reread it... :D