Looking for Something?

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Praying for Democratic Representation among the Heavenly Host

I hate to break it to this guy, but it doesn't matter how many people you can convince to pray for rain during Obama's acceptance Democratic nominee speech. God is going to do whatever It wants with the weather regardless.

And conservative Christians ought to be really, really glad that God's will is not by majority vote. Because if it is? Then we should convert to Roman Catholicism. They are in the majority, after all.

Seriously, though.

I don't think any one religion has a monopoly on truth. Nor is any religion devoid of truth. But personally, I don't believe in intercessional prayer (i.e., asking God to do things for you) because I think if you believe in an Almighty Being, then you certainly don't need to tell it what to do; it already knows and has decided one way or the other.

But this isn't about this man's relationship to God; it's about his relationship to other Christians. The act of convincing people to pray for something mildly irritating to happen to Obama is a political act, an act of solidarity. So why not just tell them to vote?!

3 comments:

mbet said...

That's right, we're in the majority, and one day, WE WILL RULE!!!!

Oh wait, ruling typically requires that you occasionally forego alcohol so that you can have a clear head. No true Catholic would willingly agree to any such thing. Okay, okay, the alcoholic Catholics might, but the alcoholic Catholics wouldn't represent a majority/plurality/whatever.

So, I guess ruling is out. We'll have to satisfy ourselves with sneakily educating half-atheist small children...

Anonymous said...

He he. See, I knew *you* would realize I have nothing at all against Catholics! :-) Just pointing out that the rest of us are outnumbered, that's all. Good thing you guys are cool and all.

More, it's just the arrogance of that guy that bothers me. And given all the important things one could do (or pray for), it seems like such a waste of the Deity's time. Why not be honest about attempting to intervene in politics?

But hey, I'm preaching to the converted here, I know!

P.S. Teh n00b now has a school uniform. I never have to worry about DG dressing him in clashing Hawaiian prints again (and yes, he does do that. On purpose.). Hurray for Catholics!

mbet said...

Yay for conformity! I can't wait to see a photo of teh n00b in his cute little uniform. Has he started singing, "Jesus Loves Me (Yes, I Know)"?

Anyway, this prayer guy is sort of reminding me of celebrities who thank God when they win awards. Because God really, really didn't like the artistic work of their opponents, it would seem...