Looking for Something?

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Full time work

A college is experimenting with no classes on Fridays. I'm all in favor, but let's be clear -- this isn't really a four-day work week, as the title implies. It just means that faculty and students work from home on Fridays (and, in the case of the former, probably weekends as well), saving on commuting costs, while the college saves on energy costs.

I'm in favor of less commuting and saving energy, and I think this is win-win situation. But I object to this being portrayed by the media as "less work" for college teachers. Even when I only teach two days a week, I work full time. Most of the work teachers do is not in the classroom.

This kind of coverage just adds to the idea that it's ok to pay teachers less, because they don't really work "full time."

No comments: