Looking for Something?

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Security Books

Teh N00b has never been into "lovies," stuffed animals, or other soft, cuddly things that are supposed to give infants comfort as they go to sleep. He has, for years (he's now a ripe old three years, after all) slept with books. Even before he could memorize and recite them (the stage he's at now), he would demand they stay in bed after we read them to him.. If we forgot, he would get out of bed to retrieve them. We always find him asleep, a book under his head, or on top of his head, or tucked under his arm, or under his body.

Geez, it's like he's the one writing the d*** dissertation.

Tonight I put him to bed, and it got quiet, so after reading 30 pages on neoliberalism I went up to recover the books and slip them back under his bed, like I do every night. I tip-toe in. It's dark, he's still -- "Tough Trucks" between his head and the pillow, "Dazzling Diggers" under his arm.

As I approach, I hear a little voice, quiet but insistent: "My books."

Ooops. Too soon.

So I sneak out with a chuckle. An hour later I go back. He's rolled over, face up with the book open to truck drivers beneath him. As lift his head to move the book, he startles and whines, "My books!" then immediately goes back to sleep when I put the book beside him.

I wonder when I'll have to break it to him that eventually you have to stop reading and start writing. I guess I'll wait until he's four.

No comments: